Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Let's bump pissers!

Jessica-I have completed items 1 through 3 of my "to do" list, and I'm at updating this blog. Yay! Next up is to shave my legs. Arg. I have let them grow free for the winter, and am very hesitant to rid myself of the hair as I love the sensation of the wind blowing through my leg hairs as I prance around during my interpretive dance classes. Hahaha!

Yes, the weekend, the weekend, the events and such.

Well, I will begin with supper on Friday night. Friend P and I had to have a quick-ish supper due to my cell phone dying and also the fact that I am a giant idiot. We had planned to go to Pulcinella as we have both travelled to Italy and wanted some real pizza. The staff smoothly accommodated our hurried needs and the drinks were lovely. The pizza, for me, was a disappointment though. The problem, ultimately, was lack of flavour on the pizza, followed by a bit too much of a charred resonance. I would not be hugely object to return seeing as I was very impressed with the quality of service, but I would have to have appies or something. (Something=booze.)

Next up, we went to see Eddie Izzard perform his "Stripped" show. He is a popular English comedian. Izzard bills himself as "a card carrying transvestite," however, he was not wearing anything overly unusual during the gig. The Stripped show was loosely based around following the human's search for God and meaning and the like, from Cro-Magnon man, to the Roman empire, to today's society. He also went on countless non-sequitars during the show, and those are really where he shone. It was neat to learn something while having a few laughs, but for me, the true laughs were few and far between. I'm not sure why, but I think it may have been for the same reason English expat P loved them- his humor was peppered with references to English-isms, such as theme songs to popular children's shows. If I was living abroad and I saw a comedian who joked about Kids in the Hall and the Littlest Hobo, I would be jizzing in my pants, too.

The next day I did the garden thing avec Liz. She summed up the garden fabulously, but I just wanted to add that sometime later in the summer, the garden will be open to the public for "u-pick" hours, where fresh and organic produce are available at prices only a volunteer operated garden with corporate grants can offer!

Then, Eat! Eat! Which is Awesome! Awesome! in my book. Another fine review by Liz. And the friggin' arms DO come off of half of the chairs!

That evening, friend E and I dined at Minh Chau for supper. It is a very fine Vietnamese restaurant also located in Inglewood. It has a large menu but I unfortunately rarely verge from my favorite few dishes, such as #53. It is the bomb. The owner/waitress reminds me of a love child of Liza Minelli and a Cheshire cat. I love how she purrs "good to see you again" while her artificial beauty mark winks at me from the side of her mouth. E had a stir fried veggie/tofu combo with wide rice noodles and pronounced it "very good."

That evening E and I were going to go to a play presented by a theater troupe from the Mustard Seed Theatre Troupe. I didn't know too much about it, other than it was loosely based on a Greek tragedy, and I knew a few of the performers. It was first-come-first serve ticket sales. I was late. Idiot! By the time we got there, the tickets were sold out. Sads. I learned that the three night run was sold out every night, which on one hand, is very encouraging for the arts community, but sucks for me. Oh well, I saw the peeps I knew, gave them a hug, and tried to break their legs with a crowbar I brought with me, until E explained to me that "break a leg" is just a figurative way of saying "good luck."

So we headed down to Alberta Theatre Projects to see wtf was going on there. We scored rush tickets for the show that night, Communion. First of all, the rush tickets were only $23, down from $60, and I was so satisfied by the savings, I didn't care if the play was a total piece of shit.
Which it was NOT, it was quite a lovely show. Communion is a three woman show, and was basically about mothers, daughters, and therapists. It had a great build and climax, and the acting was superb. Saturday was its closing night, but if another production came up, I would recommend it. I think ATP is always a solid bet, I've seen several shows by ATP, and have never been disappointed.

I am tired now. I will write more stuff about stuff later.

No comments:

Post a Comment